[R-wiki] Beginner - Intermediate - Advanced... new attempt

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Jan 30 16:19:14 CET 2006

I don't want to get into the other parts of the discussion,

but if you want to have these tags,
I think the names (in the subject line)
should be considered again and compared with your proposal:
1) 'novice' instead of 'beginner'     : improvement; good!
2) 'user'   instead of 'intermediate' : I think 'user' is too vague
3) 'expert' instead of 'advanced'     : This is too restrictive,
		    One could argue that only those who are able
		    to read and understand most of R's source
		    code (C & Fortran) are "experts"
   whereas probably the majority of attendees of the "useR!"
   conference should and would be interested and able to gain
   knowledge from sections in the third category.

Martin

    PhGr> Hello, Following the previous discussion about the
    PhGr> icons with three users (some people did not like them
    PhGr> and found them not very clear nor informative enough),
    PhGr> I make a second trial.

    PhGr> This time, there are still three skill levels
    PhGr> ("novice", "user" and "expert"), but no possible
    PhGr> mixture (like "novice" + "user", excluding "expert",
    PhGr> for instance).

    PhGr> I also considered Tont Plate's suggestion of an
    PhGr> explicit text, but I integrate this text in the icon
    PhGr> (I also took Ben Bolker's suggestion to use road signs
    PhGr> ;-).

    PhGr> I designed three series of icons: 1) With text for top
    PhGr> of page, 2) Big icon without text, for sections on the
    PhGr> page and 3) small icons without text, to rate with
    PhGr> discrete icons lists or table of content entries.

    PhGr> The Wiki site is modified to use these icons, so, you
    PhGr> can make your own idea more easily. Look for instance
    PhGr> at: -
    PhGr> http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/wiki/doku.php?id=start
    PhGr> for the explanation,

    PhGr> -
    PhGr> http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/wiki/doku.php?id=rtips:data:import
    PhGr> for the use in a page and,

    PhGr> -
    PhGr> http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/wiki/doku.php?id=beginners:introduction
    PhGr> for usage in a table of content.

    PhGr> Once again, I am waiting for your valuable comments!
    PhGr> Best,

    PhGr> Philippe Grosjean