[R-wiki] Beginner - Intermediate - Advanced indicator

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Fri Jan 27 16:04:10 CET 2006

Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
> Who puts these on the page?  I would be concerned that pages
> are mislabelled and also there is some question about whether
> this is a valid categorization in the first place.

In my mind, author(s) label their pages themselve. This is just a visual
mark to help spot what is interesting for you (for instance, if you're a
beginner, just skip pages or sections labelled as "advanced")! It is
also optional, and there is no way to filter pages according to this
criterion (in the search page). I don't want to move this towards a
complex mechanism (vote - page ranking - access statistics, etc...).
Best,

Philippe Grosjean

> Amazon allows one to comment on reviewers indicating whether the
> review was useful to them or not but if most pages wind up being useful
> then a categorization such as this may be irrelevant or not useful.
>
> One alternative, if its technically feasible, would be to mark how
> many times each page has been viewed and allow people to find
> out which have viewed the most.  The nice thing about that is that
> it is completely automated.   Or perhas such searching with
> google does roughly this automatically anyways.

It seems possible to derive such a feature from the 'stats' plugin.
Also, note that in the search, pages are sorted in decreasing hit order,
so this is partially fullfilled there.

However, I am against that kind of page ranking. Everybody knows that
page ranking is biased as soon as you display statistics to the users
(because they tend to visit most visited pages... and thus increase page
ranking... of most visited pages)!!!

Best,

Philippe Grosjean