[R-wiki] Beginner - Intermediate - Advanced indicator

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Jan 27 15:43:26 CET 2006

    PatBurns> I think having some identifier is a very good idea.
    PatBurns> I'm not convinced that the wiki should be dedicated to
    PatBurns> beginners only.  In my vision subjects would have a
    PatBurns> layered set of pages -- the main page would be at the
    PatBurns> beginner level.  That page would have links to several
    PatBurns> intermediate topics, which might each have links to
    PatBurns> advanced topics.

I think this is a very good suggestion,
which you should strongly consider as one main guiding principle
of the R-wiki design.

(BTW, at the moment, the Wiki prototype does not look at all
 like it was for beginners; mainly because it shows so much
 about the Wiki structure from the start;
 but I'm sure you are aware of this, and it's probably on
 purpose for this phase where you are looking for many
 contributors...)

    PatBurns> This structure satisfies two very dissimilar styles of learning.
    PatBurns> There are those (like my wife) who have to have an overall
    PatBurns> picture of what is happening before anything makes sense.
    PatBurns> There are others who have to have details before the picture
    PatBurns> forms at all.  A former colleague of mine is an extreme example
    PatBurns> of the latter -- he had to know what every function did in
    PatBurns> detail before he was satisfied that he knew what a package did.

    PatBurns> I don't think that we can enforce a layered approach to pages,
    PatBurns> but I think it would be a definite benefit if we encouraged it as
    PatBurns> much as possible.  The main thing that I think is wrong with
    PatBurns> S Poetry is that it  isn't layered.

    PatBurns> Patrick Burns
    PatBurns> patrick at burns-stat.com
    PatBurns> +44 (0)20 8525 0696
    PatBurns> http://www.burns-stat.com
    PatBurns> (home of S Poetry and "A Guide for the Unwilling S User")