[R-wiki] Bilan & TODOs

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Fri Jan 27 14:09:09 CET 2006

Hello,

My goal is still to release the R Wiki around the end of February.
We already made many progresses. Thanks to those who contribute!

We now have a Wiki engine that begins to be tailored for R content (with
R code syntax highlighting, R function calltips, an embryo of context
sensitive help for R functions, and several other nice stuff). However,
there is still much work to do. Here is the list:

- Refine and test the proposed structure.

- Import pages from Detlef Steuer's R Wiki.

- Import Paul Johnson's 'Rtips' into the Wiki.

- Import James Wettenhall's 'R tcltk examples' in the Wiki.

- Import Vincent Zoonekynd's 'Statistics with R' in the Wiki.

- Adapt the Rdconv perl script to write Wiki pages from .Rd files (Wiki
format of the R man pages).

- Automate exportation of all .Rd pages from CRAN and Bioconductor and
generate a 'Rindex.conf' file that maps functions names (and methods for
generic functions) to corresponding man pages.

- Implement a discussion plugin to allow adding comments to these man
pages (this would be a much better mechanism as the INCLUDE solution
currently in test).

- Create a 'rhelp.php' script that, given the name of a R function,
extracts the corresponding man page from 'Rindex.conf' and redirects to
that page.

- Create a 'calltip' plugin, derived from 'acronym' for inclusion of R
functions calltips in the wiki pages.

- Make an R exportation format of Wiki pages (indeed, all Wiki stuff is
just commented out with "#", and the R code appears in a way it can be
directly sourced in R. This should use the scheme doku.php?do=export_R,
as there is already doku.php?do=export_XHTML for instance.

- Enable line numbering in code blocks (a GeSHi feature, and it eases
discussion of the code in the page)

- Add legend to tables/figures/code block, number them and allow for a
reference to them (use bookmarks)

- Add a bookmark mechanism for (bibtex) citations too (+ direct link to
Amazon for instance).

- Create a RWiki package containing all the R functions required to
manage the wiki, plus a stand-alone version of the wiki engine.

- Add sidebars with cleared table of contents for major pages.

- Make a plugin that exports one or several pages compiled into a PDF
manual.

- Eliminate the buggy 'text color' plugin and add a better one. Also, I
would like to propose plugins for better alternative syntaxes like
^^...^^ for superscript in place of <sup>...</sup>, ,,...,, for
subscript in place of <sub>...</sub>, for instance (the alternative
syntax is found in other wiki engines).

- If someone think that another Wiki engine than DokuWiki is more
suitable for the R Wiki, I am glad to consider its proposal, but ** (1)
he must implement all this in the alternate Wiki engine, (2) he must
install the prototype Wiki under the alternate engine somewhere for
trial, and (3) he must argument and demonstrate (including benchmark for
speed and load support) that the alternate Wiki engine is better.

I put this list on the Wiki at:
http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/wiki/doku.php?id=varia:todo.
I would greatly appreciate help in these tasks. If you want to work on
one item, please, notify it in that Wiki page, so that we keep organized
and synchronized.
Best,

Philippe Grosjean
--