[R-wiki] Beginner - Intermediate - Advanced indicator

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Fri Jan 27 13:18:33 CET 2006

Yes, I think also that the stars is too much related with the rating of
the page in term of quality (because it is widely used that way in many
web sites).

Regarding the bar, that was my first trial: a bar with a third being
green, another third being orange and the last third being red for the
three levels. To switch off a part of it, I draw it in gray. However,
the result was graphically very poor, and it was even less explicit than
the little user icons currently proposed.

Otherwise, it is certain that putting "Difficulty:" in front of the
icons would be more explicit, as well as a key in the start page. I try
this... There is now an explanation in the start page + a "Difficulty:"
added to
http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/wiki/doku.php?id=beginners:surprises:emptysetfuncs.
I find the later one rather ennoying (the purpose of the icons is to
spot the skill level visually very rapidly,.. so users *have* to
understand their meaning anyway, and then, it is clear for them that it
relates to the "difficulty" of the page...).

For the three levels, I don't think it is too detailled if you define
them like that:

- beginner is really, really basic stuff (something that looks like
trivial and uninteresting for people that use R for a little time...
except if "intermediate" is also "ON").

- intermediate is dedicated to most R users.

- advanced is reserved for expert tricks, that is something 95% of R
users don't need at all for doing they job.

With this definition of "beginner" - "intermediate" - "advanced", I
think it is more evident why this level of details is useful.

Perhaps the terms are not adequate.
- I like "beginner" because it clearly state that the stuff there is not
of much interest for someone who already played a little bit with R.

- "intermediate" is definitely not a good term for "usual users" [Erk!
Do usual users use to use R usually? ;-)] ... but I don't find a better one.

- "advanced" could perhaps be replaced by "expert" to insist that it
really relate to something very, very difficult ?

Best,

Philippe Grosjean