[R-wiki] Summary of the discussion before creation of R-sig-wiki

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 18:14:07 CET 2006

I've just joined your list. While I've used TWiki, I have to admit it
is a bit complicated in the install.  The only real substantial
probelm I've had with it is exorbitant use of CPU time.  The perl and
text processing combine in most recent editions to really beat up a
big server.  And worse, or admins started running a google data base
for searches and when it gets to the TWiki pages , it goes berserk,
clicking all links and repeatedly slamming the search and find links
that are on every page. It took A LOT of effort to hammer their
templates into a form that did not strain the system.

As far as I'm concerned, the most important thing is authentication
and control of permissions.  If you look in the Wiki for LyX, you
can't find anything because the organization is not clear and people
did not put a lot of thought into it before documents started growing.
 So I think for the R wiki, it is pretty important to set sections
first, and allow users to add items within those.  And people who add
things should have some control over who can edit their input.  If
Prof Harrell were to put in something, and he really does not want
other people to fiddle it, he should be able to protect.  TWiki allows
that kind of control.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science