[R-wiki] Top level organization

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Feb 4 16:49:45 CET 2006

    PhGr> Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
> [...]
    PhGr> No, there is no plan to wikify the official R manuals (just a link to
    PhGr> their PDF version on CRAN).

    >> why that?  All the official R manuals (apart from the
    >> "reference", i.e. the help pages) are written in *.texi
    >> (texinfo) which then are translated to latex and pdf, but also
    >> to HTML (and to Emacs info).  Why not link to the HTML versions
    >> of the official manuals, or maybe even "wikify" the HTML version
    >> (but the "wikification" should setup in a way to be updatable
    >> with every new release of R).

    PhGr> There will be only a wikified version of the
    PhGr> online help on R functions (in the R documentation section). This serves
    PhGr> two purposes:

    >> Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich

    PhGr> Because the interest of making a Wiki version of the R manuals is to
    PhGr> allow changes in them, even if restricted to a given group of users. If
    PhGr> you allow this:
    PhGr> - How do your merge those changes with the original texinfo version?
    PhGr> - Who will decide what to keep and what to reject?
    PhGr> - etc...

no changes allowed, but *notes* to the pages

    PhGr> May be am I a little bit behind here, but I don't think the idea is to
    PhGr> put *everything* in the Wiki. We want to put only what can be modified
    PhGr> by R users. The only exception, currently, is the 'R documentation',
    PhGr> alias the .Rd files that will be read-only, but with a discussion
    PhGr> section at the end that will be editable. The Wiki is a *complement* to
    PhGr> other resources, not a *replacement*, isn't it?

Indeed!

Where I can't really speak for all of us, I'd guess that most R-core
members consider  *both*  the help pages and the official
manuals *together* as ``the'' R documentation.

So what goes for the help pages should also be possible for the
manuals.  Both categories will have to be easily updated for every
new R relase, i.e., should be mostly "read only" with the
possibility of "annotation".

Remember that one of the 3 "official R-core" statements on the
subject of  'R-wiki' was

  >> - Suggestions for the R documentation would best be filtered through the
  >>   Wiki maintainers, who could e.g. supply suggested patches during the
  >>   alpha  phase of an R release.

and I (and at least one other R core member) would mean to
include both the help pages and the "official manuals" in the
term "R documentation".

Of course it is no pre-requisite to have most of this available
when the wiki starts; OTOH, it would be really nice
to have both of these official documentation categories;
particularly since this is currently one weakness of the
help/docu system, that we haven't found a way to *link* between
the help pages and the manuals (in a platform-portable,
maintainable way).

Martin

    PhGr> Otherwise, there is no technical barriers to put also the manuals (as
    PhGr> read-only) on the Wiki. Same remark for package vignettes.

    PhGr> Best,

    PhGr> Philippe Grosjean