[R-wiki] Top level organization

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Sat Feb 4 08:17:38 CET 2006

Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
> On 2/3/06, Ben Bolker <bolker at zoo.ufl.edu> wrote:
>
>>Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
>>
>>>This is looking very good.
>>
>>  definitely agree.  I think we may eventually want
>>to tweak the categories in Tips&tricks, but we're getting
>>to the point now where we'll need to let some material
>>accumulate before we can really decide on the best
>>arrangement.
>>
>>A few comments:
>>
>>>- what is the difference among Manuals, Cookbooks and Tips and Tricks.
>>>Its not clear to me.
>>
>>   Manuals and "cookbooks" are longer and by a single or a few authors;
>>tips and tricks are shorter and more collaborative (I've tried to
>>clarify a little bit by adding a few short descriptions to
>>"start2").  That said, I think the subdivision within "Guides"
>

> This is still not clear..  There are THREE categories currently,
> not two.  The three possible categories I can see are:
>
> - official R manuals.  The official manuals that come with R wifieid.

No, there is no plan to wikify the official R manuals (just a link to
their PDF version on CRAN). There will be only a wikified version of the
online help on R functions (in the R documentation section). This serves
two purposes:

1) Provide context-sensitive help on R function inside the Wiki and

2) Allow to add comment at the end, using a discussion plugin.

> - other R documents.  Contributions from users.

Yes. For large documents, it goes to 'Guides', and for small pages, to
'Tips & Tricks'

> - snippets.  Paul Johnson's collection, etc.

Now 'Tips & Tricks' (because someone argue that 'snippets' is not veryh
easy to understand, and I agree -as a non-English, I had to consult a
dicitionnary!-)

> Is that the distinction?  Should it be?

Yes!
- R Documentation will use an automated script to be updated regularly
from the latest .Rd files. for that technical reason, it must be in a
separate section
- Large documents and small ones are managed in a radically different
way: large are mainly edited by one, or a few authors that are
responsible of their structure (within the document). So, few
subsections -- structure *within* the documents. Small items are really
a collaborative work, and we need a separate section with a much larger
number of subsections if we hope to keep a little bit of an organization
with these short pages -- structure *in the subsections*, *on top* of
each little document. For that reason, we cannot mix large and small
docs on the server's harddisk and hope to get a good compromize in the
sections/subsections definition.

*** Please, recall that the structure we define is the organization of
pages on the server's harddisk! *** If needed, we can design tables of
content that mix items from R doc, Guides and Tips & Tricks in a free
way (for instance, to write a TOC that collects together all material
related to data frame manipulation, or to scatterplots, or to GAM, or ...)

Best,

Philippe Grosjean