[R-wiki] [Fwd: The results of your email commands]

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Fri Feb 3 07:10:29 CET 2006

Frank E Harrell Jr wrote:

> [...]
>
> I think that's enough, just think that Data Manipulation should be
> promoted to a section.
>
> Frank

One has to decide and keep consistent: the current top level (level 1)
division of sections is between short docs (going to 'snippets' section)
and long docs (going to 'tutorials' section). Then, we have:
1) in 'snippets': 'data-manip' among others.
2) in 'tutorial': no equivalent because longer document are likely to
discuss various things... not just data manipulation. If, by chance,
there is a longer document that discusses *only* data manipulation, it
is possible to add a 'data-manip' subsection in 'tutorial' too.

If we make 'data-manip' a top level section, we break the whole logic,
and there is no reasons we shoudn't promote 'stats', or 'graphics' for
instance as top-level sections... and at the end, we rework everything
and end up with a totally different structure.

Just think at the structure on harddisk in a more practical way. I like
to separate short and long documents, because they are managed very
differently. Long documents have a primary author that is more
susceptible to update his own work, to append to it, etc... Many sort
documents will be one shot (typically, someone converts an interesting
R-Help thread, for instance). It is really more a collaboration of many
people, it is much more chaotic. Consequently, it requires a larger
number of subsections to keep a little bit of order. I think, for these
reasons, that we have now a pretty good structure to help manage the Wiki.

Now, it is possible to write tables of content that are more
task-specific, that is, promote 'data', 'stats', 'graphics' as top
level, and list all documents (both from 'tutorials' and 'snippets')
under these sections. One could also think about such table of contents
  as area-specific (biology, finance, etc...). That is what is
experimented here:
http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/wiki/doku.php?id=tutorials:tutorials

Does this answers to your request (without breaking the current structure)?

Best,

Philippe Grosjean