[R-wiki] Factor pages

Gorjanc Gregor Gregor.Gorjanc at bfro.uni-lj.si
Mon Aug 7 07:54:59 CEST 2006

>>Gorjanc Gregor wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> There are several instances of describing factors i.e. at least these
>> two
>>
>> http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=guides:stats-with-r:02programming_in_r:03datastructures&s=omit#factors
>>
>> and
>>
>> http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=tips:data-factors:factors
>>
>> I think that we should merge factor parts. Should we put that part from
>> first link to the second?
>>
>>   Well, the first part is within Vincent Zoonekynd's "Programming in
>> R", so I don't think so.  Perhaps some cross-referencing?  (Only the last
>> section -- how to convert factors with numeric labels into numbers
>> properly (as.numeric(as.character(x)) etc.) really looks appropriate
>> for R-tips anyway.)

It is confusing to have the same thing in different places. Actually
as.numeric(as.character(x)) is also in Vincent's part so I am now a bit
confused what should be in Vincent's part and what should be in R-tips.
I agree that say drop.levels[1] is a thing for R-tips. Would it make
sense to migrate part in [2] to Vincent's part?

[1]http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=tips:data-manip:drop_unused_levels
[2]http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=tips:data-factors:factors

Gregor