[R-wiki] Gelman's comments about R tips vs Wiki

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Sun Apr 23 09:56:15 CEST 2006

Tony Plate wrote:
 > [...] (see hereunder for full post)
 > However, maybe this can be partially addressed by having larger index
 > pages, each one pointing to many different small example pages. [...]

Exactly! Speaking about "browsing" the tips, the key is not to have all
tips on one page, but an index, table of content, summary, or
whatever-you-call-it page. You browse that page and click on the links
you want. This is more effective than browsing tens of thousands of
lines to discover that the tips you are looking for is the forelast one,
that is, the 9,999th one!

It seems that it would be good to (re)read
http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=wiki:authoring, the Wiki
authoring guide:

=== Can I compile my own table of content? ===

Question:

     I want to collate together a series of Wiki pages by creating an
original table of content. I want to do this to prepare a course or a
tutorial targetting a specific audience. I don’t want to write that
document from scratch, and I think that a couple of R Wiki pages just
correspond to what I need. Can I do that?

Answer: Yes, you can. All material on the R Wiki is licensed under the
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License Version
2.5. This means that you can collect material together providing: (1)
you indicate respective authors, (2) this is not intended for commercial
use, and (3) you compilation is redistributed under a similar license.

There are three ways to collect together Wiki pages:

    1. Export the pages of interest as XHTML, by appending
&do=export_xhtml at the end of the URL and reload it. You can copy and
paste the page(s) either in your favorite HTML editor, or in a word
processor like OpenOffice Writer or Microsoft Word (do not forget to
point to the R Wiki as the origin of the material).

    2. Link to the pages of interest from your own Web or Wiki site.

    3. But if you think your table of content could be interesting for
other R users, please, share it by adding it directly into this R Wiki.

Those who want to provide a tool to automate the collation of several
Wiki pages and compile an unique PDF file are warmly welcome to
contribute. However, I think it is, in all cases, much better to work
only with the original pages on the Wiki. A leading concept of the Wiki
is to stimulate every reader to become an author. This is easy to do
when you read the original Wiki page (just click 'Edit this page' on the
top or bottom left of the page). For sure, readers of the PDF version
are less likely to contribute, since the access to the editable Wiki
page is not straightforward for them (and they may even not know that
there is a Wiki equivalent of the PDF)!

To conclude, I think that many proposals these times are done by people
that do not like the Wiki presentation and would prefer a Web or PDF
presentation. The later two are incompatible with the leading idea of
the Wiki that every reader can easily become an author. Applying the
proposed changes to the Wiki will certainly lead to a more "Webish" or
"PDFish" look&feel of R Wiki, but it will almost certainly break the
initial idea of a place for *collaboratiove writing of R documentation*.
Best,

Philippe Grosjean