[R-sig-teaching] Data Science Materials]

User Hayden bob at statland.org
Wed Dec 6 19:58:37 CET 2017

Joris is much too modest.  His book is well worth buying.

----- Forwarded message from Joris Meys <jorismeys at gmail.com> -----

Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2017 15:53:14 +0100
From: Joris Meys <jorismeys at gmail.com>
To: R-sig-teaching <r-sig-teaching at r-project.org>
Subject: Re: [R-sig-teaching] Data Science Materials

For the practical side, you have the book of Hadley Wickham : R for Data
Science. You can read this online here : http://r4ds.had.co.nz/

This however doesn't cover the theoretical aspects, so much depends on what
you want to teach. Also keep in mind that you might want to consider first
whether you want to use R just for data preparation and exploration, or
whether you want to teach programming in R. Both require a different
approach. The book of Hadley Wickham is especially suited for the former. I
can recommend the book Andrie and I wrote for the programming aspect. It's
called "R for Dummies". But you can find that information also in different
online sources for free.

Cheers
Joris

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 3:36 PM, Justin Leinaweaver <jleinaweaver at gmail.com>
wrote:

> You may also find the similar discussions on the R Studio community forum
> helpful.
>
> https://community.rstudio.com/tags/teaching
>
> Justin
>

> On Dec 6, 2017 8:33 AM, "Sander" <sander1981 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear Abou,
> >
> > Do you have a list of topics you'd like to discuss?
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Sander
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 2:57 PM, AbouEl-Makarim Aboueissa <
> > abouelmakarim1962 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Dear All: good morning
> > >

> > > I am planning to teach a course in practical data science using R, may
> be
> > > in Fall 2018. I am wondering if someone have some materials on data
> > science
> > > such as notes, R codes, and etc.
> > >
> > > It will be highly appreciated if they are willing to share such
> materials
> > > with others.
> > >

> > > with many thanks
> > > abou
> > > ______________________
> > >

> > > *AbouEl-Makarim Aboueissa, PhD*
> > >
> > > *Professor of Statistics*
> > >
> > > *Department of Mathematics and Statistics*
> > > *University of Southern Maine*
> > >
> > >         [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

-----------

Biowiskundedagen 2017-2018
http://www.biowiskundedagen.ugent.be/

-----------

Joris Meys
Statistical consultant

Ghent University
Faculty of Bioscience Engineering
Department of Mathematical Modelling, Statistics and Bio-Informatics

tel :  +32 (0)9 264 61 79
Joris.Meys at Ugent.be

----- End forwarded message -----

--

      _
     | |          Robert W. Hayden
     | |          5 Howard Street, Apartment 206
    /  |          Wilton, New Hampshire 03086  USA
   |   |
  /    |          website: http://statland.org
 |   x /
 ''''''