[R-sig-teaching] [dmonterde at me.com: About the standard gaussian distribution]

User Hayden bob at statland.org
Thu Apr 20 17:30:04 CEST 2017

Your English is better than that of many of my born-in-USA students;-)

I work regularly with high school teachers of AP Statistics -- a
program that allows high school students to get college credit for
college courses taken in high school -- in this case, an introductory
statistics course.  If I understand you then this is a question that
comes up regularly in AP Stats. (where the students use graphing
calculators with many statistical functions).

Should we work with the given units and technology that has normal
tables for any mu and sigma OR should we standardize everything?  When
we have the option, using the given units seems more natural.  OTOH,
standardizing provides review and practice of an important idea.  In
addition, if we introduce the t distrtibutin later, we will have to do
a kind of standardization there, so doing things different ways in
different chapters hides the essential difference behind a surface
difference. If we standardize in both cases students see that the
difference is whether we know sigma, not whether we standarize or
not.

----- Forwarded message from David Monterde <dmonterde at me.com> -----