[R-sig-teaching] Teaching R in high school and college science and math courses

Mark Daniel Ward mdw at purdue.edu
Wed May 18 00:01:57 CEST 2016

Dear Brian,

I firmly agree with you.  Indeed, I'm working with some colleagues at
the ASA (American Statistical Association) on trying to really broaden
the groups that are impacted by the use of R and data science, far
beyond the usually K-12 contact with statistics.

Perhaps we don't have to bother everyone with such discussions. I wonder
if interested parties would like to have a sub-discussion about this
with my colleagues at the ASA?  I'm actually trying to build some
momentum in these very areas.  Would you like to (directly) discuss
further?  I've been working on an initiative in this vein lately.

P.S.  I see that you are a professor of wildlife and statistics.
Although I'm in a statistics department, we have several students
working on projects related to forestry and natural resources at Purdue.

Mark

Mark Daniel Ward, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Undergraduate Chair
Department of Statistics
Purdue University
150 North University Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2067