[R-sig-teaching] Choice of graphics package

Granaas, Michael Michael.Granaas at usd.edu
Sat Nov 28 17:12:45 CET 2015

Wow! A lot more to think about than when I asked what I thought was going to be a fairly simple question.

I am working my way through the discussion so far and appreciate all of the help and suggestions.

Some additional information:

RStudio was what allowed me to seriously consider R in the first place.  My students would vastly prefer to use point-and-click SPSS.  I prefer that they learn syntax.  Rstudio is a fairly good compromise.

Rcmndr is currently used primarily for data entry.  Occasionally I will have them

Rmarkdown is in the cue for me to learn before I attempt to add it to class.  Based on comments on this thread I should make more of an effort to get this integrated soon.

For all of these I have a collection of links and pdfs that are in need of review before making them available to students.  (Suggestions that might shorten the review process are certainly appreciated.)

The Mosaic package is being used, although not to the extent that I think I could use it.

In the comments I believe I saw mention that Mosaic works well with one of the graphics packages.  Which leads me to apologize for not mentioning what I already do when I first asked the question.  I did not consider that working well with Mosaic was going to be a criteria I should consider.

Although I am fascinated to learn that lattice and ggplot2 use different conceptual frameworks.  I didn't know there was such a thing.   That was neat.

Thanks again for all the helpful comments.  I am going to go back through them a bit more deliberately and then start moving forward.

Michael

Michael Granaas                                           mgranaas at usd.edu
Department of Psychology                           SL: VRprofessor Resident
University of South Dakota
414 E. Clark St                                             Phone: 605 677 5295
Vermillion, SD  57069                                 FAX: 605 677 3195