[R-sig-teaching] Choice of graphics package

Granaas, Michael Michael.Granaas at usd.edu
Thu Nov 26 16:23:00 CET 2015

I am working with first year grad students in psychology and have sloooooooowly been adding some R content to the course.  I do not have a systematic plan and I haven't yet found the teaching related materials that will be a good match to my particular course structure.

I noticed Randall Pruim's comment:
"4) For teaching, the decision between base graphics, lattice, and ggplot2 (and soon ggvis) is an important one to think through.  Depending on the goals of the course, I can imagine good arguments for using lattice or ggplot2.  I don’t find base graphics compelling for teaching and never teach it to my students."

Which caused me to wonder....which package should I be focusing on?

For these students I am focused on fairly basic graphics such as boxplots, histograms, scatterplots.  What are the pros/cons of the different packages that I should consider as I work to be more planful in my incorporation of R?

Michael

Michael Granaas                                           mgranaas at usd.edu
Department of Psychology                           SL: VRprofessor Resident
University of South Dakota
414 E. Clark St                                             Phone: 605 677 5295
Vermillion, SD  57069                                 FAX: 605 677 3195