[R-sig-teaching] Create and graph a negative skewed distribution (curve)

Dennis Murphy djmuser at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 22:22:34 CEST 2013

Pray tell, what is a "negative distribution"?

To be a little more helpful, consult the probability chapter in the
Introduction to R that comes with the software in both html and pdf
form to learn which distributions are built into the base distribution
of R. Perhaps you'll find what you need there. According to a recent
R-bloggers post, counting the base distribution and the contributed
packages on CRAN, there are approximately 170 probability
distributions available in R. You could try package sos (which
requires an active Internet connection) to find the distribution you
want if the Intro to R perusal comes up empty:

# install.packages("sos")
library(sos)
findFn("my_search_string")

It will return a web page of (partial) matches to your query string.

If your distribution is continuous, you could consider the curve()
function, or just your everyday plot() with type = "l". For discrete
distibutions, you could consider barplot() or plot() with type = "h";
see the help page for plot.default() for an example (the one that
shows the different plot types).

Dennis