[R-sig-teaching] large data, purpose of the SIG, teaching with R

Randall Pruim rpruim at calvin.edu
Fri Jan 18 17:42:05 CET 2013

I'm not sure I would call the list completely unsuitable for your question, but it is borderline.  My main point (also expressed in Bob's reply) is that you might get better answers elsewhere because there may be more people with more expertise in this area on other lists.

As a side note, I think that we are heading into an era where using more large data sets in lower level courses may become more common.  So this may come back around to become very appropriate for this list (although this list may still be shorter on the expertise to answer your questions fully than some other lists).

In any case, good luck solving your large data problems.

As for the usefulness and (intended) scope of the SIG as it currently exists, I'd have to think more about that.  It seems to me that the trend is toward more use of R in undergraduate courses, especially in second courses and in courses for majors and minors, but also in intro courses.  But my view of the world may be distorted by the fact that I have been heavily involved in that the last few years.

Finally, I'll mention one outcome of the work described in the preceding paragraph is an R package (co-developed with Danny Kaplan and Nick Horton) that we think makes it much easier to teach statistics using R. The package is called mosaic and is available on CRAN.  We are getting closer and closer to something we are willing to call version 1.0.  Perhaps in a separate message I can say a bit more about what is in that package while there may still be time to adjust things for second semester courses that are about to begin or have just begun.

---rjp