[R-sig-teaching] help for beginner

Randall Pruim rpruim at calvin.edu
Mon Nov 19 14:40:59 CET 2012

I haven't taught from that book in a while, but here are some tips:

1) If the 7th edition is still current, grab the Devore7 package which contains many of the data sets (sometimes awkwardly formatted and poorly labeled, but at least they are there.)

2) Choose a graphics system.  I recommend lattice, but I really recommend that you don't mix and match.  One advantage of lattice is that it teaches the formula interface you will want to use for linear models, so students will be a step ahead when you get there.

3) If you go with lattice, I suggest you also give the mosaic package a try.  It adds other functionality via a formula interface (e.g. mean(age ~ sex, data=foo) gives mean ages broken down by sex) and simplifies some important tasks, like adding a linear model fit to a plot or evaluating the fit at specific values of the explanatory variables.

4) You might also take a look at the minimalR vignette in the mosaic package.  It was designed for a slightly different course, but tries to give a small but sufficient set of commands for teaching introductory statistics using lattice and mosaic.  I'd encourage you to find or create something like this for your students.  (The target audience for the current vignette is really faculty.)

5) Less volume, more creativity.

Try to keep the number of different R commands you teach to a minimum.  Choose them wisely and choose tools that play well together.  That makes it easier for the students to master the skills they really need.  R often provides several ways to skin a cat, but your students only need one way.

Have fun.

---rjp