[R-sig-teaching] R exercices

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 16:45:55 CEST 2012

R is in the broad family of functional languages -- if your student is
on board with the statistical capabilities of R, he might benefit from
looking at one of the classic tutorials for those while doing the
exercises in R. SICP is a classic, but the syntax doesn't match: maybe
the python version works
http://www-inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~cs61a/sp12/book/index.html :
alternatively, think Python or think Complexity (both online) provide
another (less difficult) exposition. However, take these options with
a grain of salt: if your student learns R this way, he'll get some bad
R habits that will take a long time to break: I'd highly advise
against any solution that suggests he do the

*
**
***

puzzle with nested loops: performance in later programming assignments
will be terrible. Better to learn good habits now: lapply(1:n,
function(x) cat(rep("*", n), "\n")

Alternatively, working through something like Project Euler in R will
require a little more self-starting, but might be more rewarding after
he masters the basics of syntax. (just what's given in a first read
through the standard intro to R document)

Finally, Matloff's Art of R programming is probably exactly what
you're looking for, but isn't free.

Hope this helps, (and my strong advice is options 2 or 3)

Michael