[R-sig-teaching] introducing R to high school students

Bob bob at statland.org
Thu Apr 19 15:34:55 CEST 2012

I know one high school teacher who used R in her AP Statistics
class.  I just dropped her a note to see if she is willing to provide
any links to her work or an email address.  I have also used R as one
software option in online courses over the past few years, and plan to
use it a bit next summer in a workshop for high school AP Statistics
teachers.

Installation and data file format can grind a demo to a halt in no
time.  I suggest you run stuff on your own machine or use something
like RWEB (Google it).  To use student data maybe you can either send
them info on the file format you need or even better ask them to
submit data beforehand with documentation so you can see if you can
find anything you can use.  My experience is that anyting you ask a
host to get working in advance will not work the day of the demo;-(

R can do some spectacular graphics -- certainly compared to Excel!
Even a simple histogram, which also has the advantage the R is much
EASIER than Excel for such basic graphics.

If I knew the students had access to PCs I would download the latest R
and burn it to CDs to hand out.  I would not spend demo time on
installation but they could all take this home to play with.
Actually, I would probably give out a live Linux Cd with R
preinstalled.  (Often the problem is that the teachers cannot figure
out R but the students can, which creates problems for teachers who
need to give the appearance of having all the answers.)  If they use
Macs I would give up;-)

It is much easier to modify code than to write it from scratch.  You
might do a simple lm(y~x) with a dataset with several variables and
then try lm(z~x) or lm(y~z). Should be easy in RWEB.

My experience with learning R is that those who teach it presnt things
that are way too complicate4d for beginners. The goal is to anlyze
data, not to show of how much you know about R, or every feature it
has.  Beginners will not see the need for or usefulness of objects
until they have gained some experience. The goal should be to maximize
the analysis of data and minimize time spent on the peculiarities of
R.  You are welcome to offer students this link to materials that try
to do this.

   http://statland.org/Software_Help/R/Rhome.htm