[R-sig-teaching] Comparing Points on Two Regression Lines

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 03:13:02 CEST 2012

Again, you need to clarify what you mean by compare, but here's a
better way to do predict from a linear model -- my first guess was
simple interpolation (not very good):

m1 <- lm(y ~ x, data = data.frame(y = y1, x = x1))
m2 <- lm(y ~ x, data = data.frame(y = y2, x = x2))

predict(m1, newdata = data.frame(x = x))
predict(m2, newdata = data.frame(x = x))

Perhaps you want an ANOVA (?anova) test to compare the models: if you
want to compare the predicted values at x directly, you could use
interval="predict" for the different models and see if they overlap at
a given confidence level.

Michael

PS -- Please do cc the list: I'm not a statistics expert by any means
and I'd hate for what I say to go unreviewed by actual experts.