[R-sig-teaching] regerssion issues

Jeff Laux jefflaux at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 16:03:31 CET 2012

Q1:  Using many independent variables does not *cause*
multicollinearity.  These are simply different issues.  It would lead to
the problem of multiple comparisons, however, with 50k cases, it's hard
to see that as a likely issue here.  Given the number of cases, this
must be observational research with archival data.  That can lead to a
number of issues if the researcher is trying to make causal claims.
Some good background books for addressing such issues would be:
     - Shadish, Cook & Campbell, "Experimental & Quasi-experimental Designs"
     - Rosenbaum, "Observational Studies"
     - Pearl, "Causality"
     - Rothman, et al., "Modern Epidemiology"

Q2:  It is quite reasonable to imagine that variables are often, in
reality, related to each other in some way, and all significance tests
do is assess the power of your study.  With 2k cases, I would suspect
that the estimate of the association may be fairly accurate (although
this could depend of various factors regarding how the data were
handled).  The question of practical significance is an important one.
An easy first step is to look at Kirk's famous paper, Kirk, "Practical
significance; An idea whose time has come", a google scholar search
could tell you about subsequent papers that cited that, and give you a
start through the related literature.

Best,
Jeff