[R-sig-teaching] Books on R-programming for newbies

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 14:26:36 CET 2012

Hmmm, others will have their own suggestions, but here are three of
the big ones as far as I'm concerned:

Burns -- R Inferno (free online), Intermediate Level that has an
(almost comprehensive) review of little tricks and quirks
Chambers -- Software for Data Analysis (real book), more high-level by
the father of S/R but definitely gets you over the hump to "true
enlightenment"
Venables & Ripley -- S Programming [S is more or less R, but don't
worry about that for now] (real book), by two of the "big dogs" of the
S/R world, though a little old at this point, really gets you to the
details of things

An intro book is a little harder to find: I've heard good things about
Matloff's Art of R programming for someone who wants to understand R
as a language (rather than a statistical tool if that makes sense) --
I think most of the other intro books will spend more time teaching
basic stats than you'd be interested in. "R in action" is also pretty
well received and I think it's in the same vein as Matloff. No
promises about either of these: I've only seen them in their
proto-forms (both were web presences made into books) and haven't used
them myself.

Of the other books you note,  O'Reily books are pretty uniformly good.
Some people like Crawley but the "official" review on Crawley was
pretty scathing; it is big though...

There's also copious free documentation online (including the
prepackaged intro material, but that's a hair terse) so don't feel
pressure to buy a "real" book -- GNU and all that jazz. You'll get a
lot from reading the R-Help and R-SIG-*** [Finance I'd guess] groups
(both actively and in archive) but sometimes they can be a little
obscure: just note things that catch your interest.

Hope that helps,

Michael