[R-sig-teaching] Books on R-programming for newbies

Dagfinn Rime dagfinn.rime at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 14:13:13 CET 2012

Dear all,

I'm new to R and need to learn how to program R, and would appreciate
suggestions for e.g. two books in order to get going.

What type of books? Well, if I were to suggest books for a newcomer to
LaTeX I would say that "all" you need is Lamport's book and "The LaTeX
Companion" (2nd ed). Is there something similar for R? A not-too long
introductory book and one more comprehensive "reference"-like book?

My level?
* Statistics? I have a PhD in finance and know "applied statistics/econometrics"
* Programming? I currently do all my analysis via programming
("scripting") in SAS or Eviews.

The R-project page mention 115 books? I made notice of the following:
1. Paul Teetor. R Cookbook. O'Reilly, first edition, 2011
2. Rob Kabacoff. R in Action. Manning, 2010.
3. David Ruppert. Statistics and Data Analysis for Financial
Engineering. Use R! Springer, 2010
4. Alain F. Zuur, Elena N. Ieno, and Erik Meesters. A Beginner's Guide
to R. Use R. Springer, 2009

>From Amazon the following caught my attention:
1. R in a Nutshell (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly))
2. The R Book by Michael J. Crawley

I have probably missed some (many), and there are probably lots of
different views. But I would appreciate any guidance and views.

Thanks in advance,
Dagfinn Rime
Research department, Norges Bank
www.norges-bank.no/research/rime/