[R-sig-teaching] t.test from summary of data

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Tue Nov 9 18:05:28 CET 2010

Are you interested in this only for simple one sample t-tests? Or do you need something for the more complicated cases (which lead to discussions about approximations to degrees of freedom, etc.)?

For the simple one sample, the test can be done as a one liner:

> pt( mean/(sd/sqrt(n)), n-1 )

Which is not that much more complicated than a modified t-test function would be:

> t.test.summary( mean, sd, n )

Using the pt function would then force the students to think about which tail they are computing the area for and whether the p-value needs to be multiplied by 2 (rather than just specifying an argument).

For the 2 sample case, I have in the past just simulated a dataset with the same means and standard deviations, then used this in place of the raw data, the mvrnorm function in the MASS package has an option to generate normal data with the exact mean and variance specified.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org