[R-sig-teaching] The pedagogy of the assignment operator

Robert W. Hayden hayden at mv.mv.com
Tue Oct 26 21:44:30 CEST 2010

Forwarded message:
> From: Murray Jorgensen <maj at waikato.ac.nz>
>
> in my own R code I have used various forms of the R assignment operator
> at different times in my life. There are arguments for and against each
> choice.
>
> A question I would like this sig is whether there are any specifically
> teaching reasons for preferring one form over another?
>
> A second question, mainly to clarify the first, is whether different
> forms might be preferred for different types of student?

I don't have a strong opinion but I think this was much debated long
ago in connection with other programming languages such as BASIC and
Pascal.  Some of that might be relevant.

------->  First-time AP Stats. teacher?  Help is on the way! See

http://courses.ncssm.edu/math/Stat_Inst/Stats2007/Bob%20Hayden/Relief.html

Robert W. Hayden, P.O Box 450, North Troy, VT 05859
phone (802) 988-2587  web site http://statland.org/
email  bob statland.org  (add your own "@" and save me some spam)