[R-sig-teaching] prop.test in R

Ian Fellows ian.fellows at stat.ucla.edu
Tue Oct 26 01:57:24 CEST 2010

In the case of the t.test, having the default be var.equal=TRUE is the right way to go. There is little to no power lost by using the welch test, and the assumption of equal variance can be difficult to assess. For this reason, many introductory text books have now banished the equal variance t-test from their chapters (e.g. Moore's The Basic Practice of Statistics).

Ian