[R-sig-teaching] pros/cons of teaching attach()

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 22:14:50 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Martin Maechler
<maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> wrote:
[snip]
> Do consider (and teach!) using  attach("foobar.rda") for *.rda files
> which I often find quite preferable to load().
> I forgot who (from R-core) introduced this idea,
> but I do like it:  It rehabilitates attach() into a "decent R
> function" :-)

This is amazing.  In two sentences, you made working with *.rda files
containing multiple objects easier (which makes save.image suddenly
seem much more useful) and provided a good answer to, "why was it
written if it should be avoided?"

--Josh