[R-sig-teaching] Statistics are SO boring...

Ed Merkle edgar.merkle at wichita.edu
Thu Jun 24 19:13:22 CEST 2010

Christophe,

You may already know it, but Gelman has a book on teaching statistics
that contains many good examples.  One that comes to mind (I think I
found it there, at least) involves conditional probabilities involving
being drunk and having a car accident at night.  The upshot is that
P(accident at night | drunk) is low, but P(drunk | accident at night) is
high (above .5, if I recall).

There is also a contingency table example from the tv show Mythbusters,
where they study whether yawning is contagious.  They do not use
statistics in the tv show and end up drawing the wrong conclusion.  See,
for example,

http://www.statisticool.com/mythbusters.htm

Ed

--