[R-sig-teaching] Programming in R : information from the help list

Joris Meys jorismeys at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 13:45:35 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I'm busy writing a general introduction into programming with R, and I
use a lot of examples and tricks that are given in the help list. I
have a selection of threads in the help list to use as information for
this course. The threads I select must fulfill certain requirements :
- they must contain runnable example code that is not too long
- the solution must be nice and easy, without being obvious or making
use of long apply and eval constructs
- the solution should not depend too much on the use of a specific package.
- the solution should make optimal use of vectorization in R

Off course I cannot check all messages, so if you run into examples
that would make a nice contribution to the course, please feel free to
forwa

Currently, I am working around following topics, from most likely to
be finished to maybe not included :
Certainly:
- Vectors
- matrices
- dataframes
- lists and other objects
- functions
- regular expressions

- conversion of objects
- selecting and replacing of values in objects
- merging / splitting objects

most likely :
- reading in data
- working with dates and times

likely :
- basic statistics applied to vectors/matrices/dataframes/subsets (eg.
functions colSums, ave, ...)
- models : data selection and input, extraction of output

possibly :
- generation of output reports in text, latex, html
- connections
- S3/S4 programming

If you have the feeling I'm missing a certain important topic, feel
free to let me know.
--
Joris Meys
Statistical consultant