[R-sig-teaching] exchangeability

Robert W. Hayden hayden at mv.mv.com
Mon Mar 1 15:39:18 CET 2010

I am trying to understand the assumptions for a permutation test and
figure out how to explain those to beginning students.  (I am working
on a project to integrate resampling methods into the first course in
statistics.)  I have received some help from Tim Hesterberg who gave
me the first definition of exchangeability I've seen.  One question is
whether assumptions apply to randomized experiments or to using
permutation tests for survey sampling applications.  In addition it
would be helpful to have some counterexamples where the assumptions
are NOT satisfied (and why).

------->  First-time AP Stats. teacher?  Help is on the way! See

http://courses.ncssm.edu/math/Stat_Inst/Stats2007/Bob%20Hayden/Relief.html

Robert W. Hayden   phone (802) 334-1789  web site http://statland.org/