[R-sig-teaching] text editor for teaching R

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Wed Dec 2 22:10:03 CET 2009

In windows, the simplest editor to use is the built in one in the R gui.  Just click on file, then New Script and it will open a blank editor (or use open script to read in a file).  This is a pretty basic editor, it does not do syntax highlighting, paren matching an several other things that are nice in Tinn-R, ESS/emacs and others.

But one really nice thing is that you can highlight a section of code and just click a single button on the toolbar and the highlighted code will be copied to the command line and run.  Or without a selection, the same button will run the current line and advance to the next line (so clicking the button several times runs the next several lines of code).

And you don't have to install anything besides R.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center