[R-sig-teaching] introducing R

Eric Lamb eric.lamb at usask.ca
Fri Oct 23 20:03:16 CEST 2009

I also have recieved a fair amount of pushback from collegues who would
prefer their favorite program to be taught to graduate students.

When it comes to presuading people to embrace R I have found that a
discussion of the benefits of open source software is very effective. My
institution trains a large number of graduate students from developing
countries who will likely have limited access to research funds when
they return. Pointing out the benefits of training on an open access
platform to the future research careers of these students has gotten
many onside. The same arguement applies to students who will be working
for small companies that cannot afford/justify a SAS license.

Cheers, Eric

--
Eric Lamb
Assistant Professor, Plant Ecology and Biostatistics

4D68 Agriculture Building
306-966-1799
eric.lamb at usask.ca