[R-sig-teaching] Markov chain Monte Carlo

Giovanni Petris GPetris at uark.edu
Thu Oct 8 00:40:14 CEST 2009

Hello all,

In a recent issue of the Bulletin of the American Mathematical
Society, Persi Diaconis opens a review/discussion paper on MCMC with a
nice application to cryptography and message decoding. The article is
available online at

http://www.ams.org/bull/2009-46-02/S0273-0979-08-01238-X/S0273-0979-08-01238-X.pdf

I liked the example and wanted to do something similar in my
classes. Does any body have any suggestions? I can make up my own
coded message, but in order to decode it I will need a matrix of first
order transition probabilities for letters in standard English: is
there anything like that available on line?

Thank you in advance.

Best,
Giovanni Petris

--