[R-sig-teaching] Teaching with R website

Robert W. Hayden hayden at mv.mv.com
Thu Jul 2 16:19:57 CEST 2009

I think such a website would be a real asset.  It would be most useful
if it either were restricted to intro. stats. OR organized so that
materials for real beginners were easy to extract from all the
materials for programmers and Ph.D. statisticians.  As a relative
beginner myself, I find the usual resources useless.  In self defense,
I created materials for my own beginning students:

  http://courses.statistics.com/software/R/Rhome.htm

Likewise, 13000 data sets would not be of much help unless there were
some way to find the one you need.  For example, recently I was
teaching transformations of a single variable and found several nice
sets of data.  Unfortunately, logs seemed to be the best
transformation in every case!-(  I needed examples where square roots
for example worked better.  There are already a bazillion data sets
out there for R but they are scattered among dozens of packages with
cryptic names to ensure that no one can find them.

I think John's idea has great potential but must be inplemented in a
manner much less off-putting than 99% of the existing R materials.
You would almost think that R was a secret society whose main goal was
to fend off new users;-)