[R-sig-teaching] Teaching with R website

jverzani jverzani at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 21:14:30 CEST 2009

I was at the USCOTS conference in Ohio and found myself attending a
demonstration on the statcrunch software, which I hadn't seen until then. As far
as it goes the software is fine, but what was very interesting to me was the
statcrunch.com website. As described there, this is set up to allow easy sharing
of data sets, code and reports along with surveys etc. There were an enormous
number of data sets (13000, reports etc. that were posted by instructors and
students). The site is so successful a publisher now runs it.

I currently put such files on my personal web site for my students to download.
I have also enjoyed using materials from many other websites, such as those
discussed in a recent thread. However, I think it might be extremely beneficial
from a student perspective to have an one spot where they can find the work of
many people oriented around teaching and learning R. Some site with good search
abilities, some well chosen organization and a relatively modern look.

I know there are a bunch of interesting web sites for R beyond the main one:
CRANtastic, the R-Wiki, the graph gallery, ... but none seem oriented towards
the exchange of data and techniques that are used to teach with R.

Does anyone else think such a resource might be useful to the point where it was
actually used? Are there other ideas where a common place for such information
is value added?

If this seems like a good idea, does anyone know if there is some off-the-shelf
content management system that is well suited towards such?

--John