[R-sig-teaching] purpose of list

Mark Daniel Ward mdw at purdue.edu
Tue Jun 30 14:42:33 CEST 2009

Dear Bob,
    Thank you for your question to the list.  I'm using R to teach
courses on Computing with Data.  I am in the Department of Statistics at
Purdue University (in West Lafayette, Indiana, USA), although of course
my opinion does not represent our entire department.
    I believe that R is a great tool for teaching undergraduates and
graduate students.  I teach these Computing with Data classes at both
levels.  As you might guess from the title, I do not focus on
statistical methods, but instead I focus on the ability to manipulate
data that is very large and thus cannot be handled by less-powerful
software.
    It might be helpful to note that I teach R alongside other
technologies (in the same course), including UNIX tools, bash shell
scripting, regular expressions, SQL, XML, and a brief introduction to
Perl....  although R remains the main topic in my course.  I spend about
1/3 of the time in the course on R.
    Our students are fortunate to have access to other software,
including (for instance) S-PLUS, but I really enjoy using open source
technologies in my classes to the greatest possible extent.
    I hope that helps give a perspective about one use of R in the
classroom.
Mark