[R-sig-teaching] I need your thoughts on teaching with R

markus kossner m.kossner at tu-bs.de
Tue Mar 10 09:07:10 CET 2009

Albyn Jones wrote:
> I should have noted this at the beginning of the thread rather than
> now, but forthe record, there is an R special-interest-group mailing
> list called R-sig-teaching where this might also be of interest.
>
> albyn
>
> On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 11:28:41AM -0600, Andrew Zieffler wrote:
>
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> I hope this email finds you all well. I have been asked to write a paper
>> that discusses some suggested practices based on learning theory and
>> cognition research for using R in teaching statistics. In thinking about
>> framing this paper I have been considering all of the instructional
>> choices that have to be made. For example, should one use the base
>> graphics, lattice, ggplots, etc? Should there be instructional sessions
>> just devoted to R or should it be completely integrated and students
>> introduced to functions and the like as they need it? What additional
>> supplemental materials should be made available to students to help them
>> learn R? And there are many more of these types of questions and
>> decisions that need to be made.
>>
>> As I have looked at many of the texts that have incorporated R they all
>> seem to have a similar approach of introducing simple operators such as
>> addition, subtraction, etc Then moving to assignment; the idea of
>> vectors; functions etc. It is unclear to me if there is a reason for
>> this pattern or if it is based on tradition? Maybe this lends itself to
>> developing better skills for students who will go on and do more
>> programming in R, but --- at least in our courses --- there are also a
>> host of students who will only ever use R as a data analysis tool.
>>
>> All of this is a very long-winded way of asking for your help. I would
>> love to hear your thoughts on the following:
>>
>> 1) What are the instructional decisions that a person needs to make if
>> they are going to be teaching statistics using R?
>> 2) What decisions have you yourself made and what were your reasons?
>> 3) How do you teach with R? Do you have sessions on R and other sessions
>> where content is taught? Is the computing fully integrated with the
>> content? Or some combination?
>> 4) If you have the heterogeneous group of students (some going on to
>> program in R, others just trying to get through, etc.) how do we deal
>> with this? Do we need to have different types of assignments and
>> materials for the different students?
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>> Andy
>>

>> --
>> Andrew Zieffler, Ph.D.
>> Educational Psychology
>> University of Minnesota
>> 167 Educational Sciences Building
>> 56 East River Road
>> Minneapolis, MN 55455
>> Email: zief0002 at umn.edu
>> http://www.tc.umn.edu/~zief0002

Dear Andrew,
as it seams to me that you will be interested in teaching data analysis
and/or Resgression analysis let me point you at
Julian Faraway's excellent and free book  'Practical Regression and
ANOVA using R' .
Faraway uses defined examples for using the various data analysis tools
within R and comments on their use, rather than
talking too much about variables, functions...
That might be a good start for you. There's also a package 'faraway'
that includes the examples... very great work!
You can find all that directly in the CRAN or just google 'faraway book'

Cheers Markus