[R-sig-teaching] Unbalanced factorial designs

Ista Zahn izahn at psych.rochester.edu
Sat Feb 28 15:58:57 CET 2009

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 12:34 AM, G. Jay Kerns <gkerns at ysu.edu> wrote:
> Dear Ista,
>
>> creating those  lovely tables.)  Nice job.
>>
>> Bill
>>

> I agree, nice job.  :-)  It is great that you are writing about these
> issues, and even better that you are sharing it.
>
> In my classes, I discuss correlated contrasts using the geometric
> approach which is in many of the classical texts.  I am not sure how
> your audience would respond to this.
>
> I didn't notice any glaring errors in your interpretation, but I
> didn't study it thoroughly, either.  I trust that some of the masters
> on this list will catch mistakes much more efficiently than I do.
>
> A few thoughts that in my view may improve your document:
>
> 1) Page 6, paragraph 2, line 5:  "The problem is that it is pretty
> obvious...".  When I first read this, it was not obvious.  After
> glancing at the table, it was plausible.  But after looking at a
> *graph*, yes, it was obvious.  A visual display here might be a good
> idea.  One option would be a two-way interaction plot.  There is one
> in the HH package, and you can even get one in Rcmdr with
> RcmdrPlugin.HH:
>
> library(HH)
> interaction2wt(salary ~ education + gender, data = D)
>
> (the dataframe D is dumped at the bottom of this email).

Thanks, this is an excellent suggestion. You're right that it's much
clearer when you plot the data.

> 2)  I got the same Type III and Type II tables as you did, but the
> Type II table was different...?
>
> library(car)
> options(contrasts=c("contr.Sum", "contr.poly"))
>
> salary.lm <- lm(salary ~ gender + education + gender:education, data = D)
> summary(salary.lm)
>
> Anova(salary.lm)  #  Type II tests
> anova(salary.lm)  #  Type I tests
> Anova(salary.lm, type = "III")  #  Type III tests

I'll investigate and try to figure out why we got different results, thanks.

> 3)  I typically refrain from using the language that you have used
> concerning "ignoring" and "controlling", etc.   I stick to the
> parametric jargon of column, row, and grand means.  This makes for
> precise statements without any fear of misunderstanding, but again,
> instructors should always keep the background of the audience in mind.

I'll probably stick with the current terms, simply because they are
consistent with the textbook we are using.

> Regardless of whether you like the ideas or not, the fact that you are
> going to the trouble of preparing a document like this for the class
> is admirable in its own right.  Keep it up.  :-)

Thanks for the encouragement!

-Ista