[R-sig-teaching] R texts

William B. Ware wbware at email.unc.edu
Fri Aug 22 22:28:22 CEST 2008

I'm new to R, but there are two books that I have found very helpful...
Most of the students that I teach are "social science" graduate
students... I think that John Verzani's book "Using R for Introductory
Statistics" is extremely well suited for that audience.  I also like
Michael Crawley's "Statistics: An Introduction using R" and Phil Good's
"Introduction to Statistics through Resampling Methods and R/S-Plus.

Also very helpful has been Ugarte, Militino, and Arnholt's "Probability
and Statistics with R."

wbw

William B. Ware, Professor       	           Educational Psychology,
CB# 3500		                       Measurement, and Evaluation
University of North Carolina	  	             PHONE  (919)-962-7848
Chapel Hill, NC      27599-3500		             FAX:   (919)-962-1533
Office:  118 Peabody Hall                            EMAIL: wbware at unc.edu
Adjunct Professor 		                     School of Social Work

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, A.G. WARRACK wrote:

> but I think also it's very expensive, and as I recall the review in the R
> newsletter wasn't that good.
>
> Also Venables and Ripley cover a lot of the material that Vanesa mentioned.
> GW
>
> On 8/20/08, Laura Chihara <lchihara at carleton.edu> wrote:
>>

>> "The R Book" by Crawley (Wiley) is comprehensive and very useful.
>> It got a nice review in the latest issue of "The American
>> Statistician"
>>
>> -Laura
>>
>> Vanesa Maribel Fernández wrote:
>>
>>> Hallo! My
>>> name is Vanesa; I am a biology PhD student from Argentina. I am used to
>>> carry out
>>> statistical analysis of data from our experiments. And I would like to
>>> have a
>>> book to learn how to use “R† for statistical. I need one which
>>> contains for
>>> example: analysis of categorical data, regression, ANOVA (fixed, mixed,
>>> repeated measures nestled), etc.
>>> Can you
>>> help me to choose a book? Thank you
>>> very much.