[R-sig-teaching] checking even/odd in R

Robert W. Hayden hayden at mv.mv.com
Mon Dec 4 02:24:13 CET 2006

I do not know of anything specific to r but standard programming
tricks may do it.  For example, if the number is x, compute y=x/2,
let z be y rounded to the nearest whole number, and check if y=z.  If
it does, x is even.  There may be rounding issues; I doubt R stores
data as integers.  You might have to do this in an environment that
sees the numbers as integers -- or text.  AWK comes to mind.

You may also want code to check for x values like 23.456.

> Dear all,
>
> I'm in search for a function which can be used to check whether a
> numeriacl value (say, x) is even/odd.
> Any help is highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Yeasmin
>
> --Boundary_(ID_5eoWS9sJoAbqcSKM1OUsmg)

> --Boundary_(ID_5eoWS9sJoAbqcSKM1OUsmg)--

 _______
|   ^  |
|     /  		    Robert W. Hayden
|    |   		    in the old library
|    |   		    212 Main Street
|   /    	            P. O. Box 450
|  |     		  ^ North Troy, VT 05859
L__L			    (802) 988-2587
                            http://statland.org/
Map of VT                   bob at statland.org

Communications sent to Plymouth State will not reach me.