[RsR] use of lmrob() on ecological time series

Stahel Werner A. @t@he| @end|ng |rom @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Tue Aug 27 19:54:42 CEST 2019

Dear Emily

Let me first ask the technical question:

Do you still get convergence problems and the like when you apply

lmrob(..., init=lmrob.lar, psi="lqq") ?

It is of course helpful if papers dealing with the same problem use the same analysis procedures

to make them comparable.

On the other hand, alternative methods may give more precise and more interpretable answers.

Thus, it would be interesting to compare the results that you get following the other papers' R script

with those you get by an alternative procedure.

If I understand correctly, you use the estimated slope your variable of interest, but then you classify

these estimated slopes according to their statistical significance. With the three classes,

significant positive, non-significant, significant negative you then do further analyses.

This is at least my understanding of your analysis (1). Have you removed the non-significant series

from the analysis?

In (2), have you used the estimated slopes directly?

Are these analyses also taken from the other papers, or does that only refer to the method of

estimating the slopes?

In any case, I have proposed that you use the estimated slope directly as the y variable

(as you probably did in (2)) for two or more groups comparisons or in regression models.

It will be more easy to explain what I mean if you send some of your time series as examples.

Best regards. Werner

Werner Stahel
M +41 79 784 9330 | P +41 44 364 6424