[RsR] use of lmrob() on ecological time series

Mon Aug 26 10:17:48 CEST 2019

    > Dear Emily

    > This is a late answer to your message from July 15.
    > The first issue is the use of robust linear regression of log(abundance) on the year.
    > I think that this is a very reasonable way to summarize the time series -- as long as
    > a log-linear trend appears appropriate.
    > The trend is then measured by the slope. A great advantage of using the log is that
    > slopes are then on a common scale for rare and abundant species, as a certain slope
    > corresponds to a certain percent increase or decrease per year.

    > You then go on to question the classification into significantly increasing, and so on.
    > This classification is common but unreasonable.
    > A 5% increase per year can be significant for one species and insignificant for another,
    > just because the former shows less random fluctuations than the latter.
    > We should focus on estimation and supply confidence intervals for characterizing the
    > (im-)precision.
    > (You may have read about the controversy about "null hypothesis significance testing"
    > and p values.)

    > Since the slopes are used for further analysis, the classification is not needed nor helpful
    > at all.
    > In any case, I have not read in detail what is done with the slope. In one paper, it is used
    > as the target variable in further regression models.
    > I wonder if such regressions make sense when different species are used in the same
    > regression. I thought it was a basic paradigm of biology that species have different
    > ways to react to environments.
    > If one simply want to show that management is helpful, one might compare managed and
    > non-managed regions in terms of the number of species (within taxonomic groups?) that
    > have recovered -- or directly in terms of average slopes for individual species or taxonomic
    > groups.

    > Nevertheless, let me add a thought about (2).
    > I think the expression "non-significant change" is quite appropriate since a change of 0
    > does not exist in real life. It is likely small (unless fluctuations are big and/or the time series
    > short, which causes in-significance), but never precisely 0.
    > Again, a confidence interval says it all: It contains all plausible values of the true slope.

Indeed! ... and the generic R function for confidence intervals,
confint() also has a good methods for "lmrob" objects,  e.g.,

    > (RlmST <- lmrob(log.light ~ log.Te, data = starsCYG))

    Call:
    lmrob(formula = log.light ~ log.Te, data = starsCYG)
     \--> method = "MM"
    Coefficients:
    (Intercept)       log.Te
	 -4.969        2.253