[RsR] Comparing OLS and robust regression

Andreas Ruckstuhl rk@t @end|ng |rom zh@w@ch
Tue May 26 09:09:49 CEST 2015

Dear Michael

I recommend to compare the graphical residual analysis of both fits.
This is done best when lmrob() of the package robustbase is used because
then you can proceed as follows

library(robustbase)
D.rlm <- lmrob(y ~ x1 + x2, data=D, setting='KS2011')
par(mfrow=c(2,3))
plot(D.rlm)

If the robust fit does not show any outliers or any other strange
things, the classical and the robust fit should agree. If there are
outliers you cannot trust the output of the classical fit (i.e.,
estimated coefficients, standard errors and test results). In this case
you must use the results of the robust fit.

Best regards
Andreas