[RsR] VIF for robust regression?

Olivier Renaud O||v|er@Ren@ud @end|ng |rom un|ge@ch
Wed Apr 6 11:33:36 CEST 2011

I don't know if there is work on a robust VIF. Here are my two cents:
- What type of variable do you have ? If some of them are discrete with
very few different values, this may cause problem to robust covariance
matrices estimation.
- Your approach to apply the "partialling out"  of the robust matrix, as
in the OLS case,  might or might not be correct, I don't know.
- If you believe that 1/(1-R^2_i) is a good measure, then you might want
to compute its direct robust equivalent.  The output of lmrob does not
provide a R^2, but the output of lmRob does. We have recently published
a paper however that shows that the robust R-squared provided by lmRob
is biased, sometimes to a large extent. We provide a consistent and
robust estimator of R-squared and a version adjusted for the sample
size.  See my previous post for an example and the code at
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-robust/2010/000290.html

Olivier

ref: Renaud, O. & Victoria-Feser, M.-P. (2010). A robust coefficient of
determination for regression. Journal of Statistical Planning and
Inference, 140, 1852-1862. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jspi.2010.01.008