[RsR] Robust location estimator - an interesting application in finance

Mon Sep 28 13:08:25 CEST 2009

    ARu> Dear Ajay
    ARu> I agree on what Matias said.

    ARu> In addition, I wondered whether you should not better use a "direct"
    ARu> robust location estimator instead of the robust location estimator based
    ARu> on the regression case. For example, there is R function huberM() which
    ARu> returns a robust M-estimation of location based on a safe way of
    ARu> calculating the robust scale estimator. An additional advantage of using
    ARu> huberM() is, that the resulting M-estimator has breakdown-point 0.5
    ARu> which is (much) higher than that of a trimmed mean.

    ARu> To sell the robust M-estimator, you can talk of "an estimator which
    ARu> down-weights outliers automatically according to their outlyingness".
    ARu> (The M-estimator can also be modified that it removes very distant
    ARu> outliers completely by using a redescending psi-function.)

Yes, indeed, thank you, Andreas,
I was also going to propose using  huberM(),
which I had written a few years ago, exactly for dealing with
the "degenerate" case of having more than half of the
observations being equal.

Nonetheless, Ajay, I'm grateful for your bug report!

Regards,
Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich