[RsR] Singular covariance in plot.lmrob

Christian Hennig chr|@h @end|ng |rom @t@t@@uc|@@c@uk
Fri Nov 28 18:25:28 CET 2008

Hi Matias,

yes, I remember that something like this was discussed in Banff.
Actually I think that there are two different issues. One is with dummy/binary
variables, which doesn't work well with a 50% breakdown covariance estimator
generally (as I said, I think it may be an idea to offer to tune the breakdown
point down as a plot.lmrob parameter... if there is a binary variable with
80% of the data on one value, then I'd rather go for a 10% breakdown point
and not 50%).
But this is not the issue with the dataset cited below, where all variables are
quantitative but two of them are discret with a much lower number of
distinct values than observations so that there may be many, but much fewer
than 50% observations with the same x-value.
The problem with such data is not with the definition, but with the algorithm.
It should be pretty straightforward to prevent plot.lmrob from producing
an error in this case with the try command and just make it giving out the
other plots and a warning. However, I don't know whether there is a reliable
method to construct a better initialization of the covariance estimator.

Christian