[RsR] [R-SIG-Finance] Outliers in the market model that's used to estimate `beta' of a stock

m@rkieeds m@iii@g oii verizo@@@et m@rkieeds m@iii@g oii verizo@@@et
Thu Sep 18 19:47:29 CEST 2008

  Hi Matias: yes, he wasn't dissing statistics for the most part. He was
definitely talking about the miuses also but I think he was claiming
that models , be it statistics, physics and even non quant models  in
finance are kind of assumed to be right until they don't work.

That's true in all science but it puts finance on quite shaky ground
because there are people trading serious money based on the idea that
what they are doing is valid and working  correctly. This is obviously
kind of relevant  to what's going on right now. Thanks for your
references also.

mark