[RsR] [R-SIG-Finance] Outliers in the market model that's used to estimate `beta' of a stock

m@rkieeds m@iii@g oii verizo@@@et m@rkieeds m@iii@g oii verizo@@@et
Thu Sep 18 18:58:02 CEST 2008

Hi: i don't know if you read "fooled by randomness" by Nassim Taleb (
spelling )  but he essentially says using very non statistical arguments
but
strong nevertheless. ( it's not a stat or a quant finance book )  that
outliers in finance are not modellable and don't claim that you can
model
them because you'd be lying. In fact, he would say that a model works
until it doesn't.

Anyway, it's an interesting book that sort of indirectly talks ( for a
little too long actually. you can get what's he saying in the first 50
pages and
  it's about 200 pages )  about your comment below so I figured I would
just mention it in case you were interested.